Pages

Friday, December 10, 2010

We ventured out into the Street...Shhhhhh

Well tonight I just couldn't help myself, sorry but I broke the law I know!! and now my well maintained driving record is now tarnished, I apologize and hang my head in shame BUT bloody hell it was worth it..

I pointed Monty down the driveway, but first it must be known that before this happened I fitted up an exhaust pipe bandage over the holes and crappy join between the makeshift muffler and also installed a good clamp from the exhaust shop, so with it now quiet and sounding very inconspicuous, Codi and I jumped on board and down the driveway we rumbled with the wind in our hair, brakes work good so we turned right at the letterbox and rolled the throttle on, thru 1st gear then the big shift up into 2nd and off he went like he was just wanting to stretch his legs after all these years, I was about to reach for 3rd gear when "bloody hell son here comes a car", I look around at Codi and he has his eyes hanging out of his head and a grin from ear to ear so I turned into old Mrs Buries driveway and scared the hell out of her as she was out on the front lawn talking with her neighbour as we rolled to a quick stop.
She gives us a wave and a big smile as we reverse back out onto the road and point Monty back towards home which was all of about 100m down the street.
I pull up in our driveway and look at Codi, "How was that son", "bit rough dad, he bounces around a bit", "thats the flat spots on the tyres, we need new ones mate", I say "ya wanna go again son", " Nup I'm going back inside to check on the pup" and out Codi bails...

I back Monty out onto the road and take off with the far end of the street set firmly in my sites this time, 1st, 2nd, and then into 3rd he goes and off we roll, back past Mrs Bury again honk! honk! who give me another wave, then we shoot past the little old Italian man who I don't know by name but see daily who is always in his garden but I don't get a wave from him, I glance down at the speedo, "Buggar, it's not working" we must be really speeding along now I'm thinking NOT! as the corner is taking ages to get closer, past Mrs Browns house I fly who also looks up from her front yard and has a laugh, the flat spots on the old tyres now seem to of all joined together into a nice light vibration, two more houses to go and I have made it to the corner, Monty is now in full flight as I back off the throttle as the exhaust lets out a few pops and I put some pressure on the old brake lever and thank christ they are working as I swing him hard to the right and do a U-turn, I pump the throttle and again he fires into life as I get him back into 2nd and off we go again, 3rd gear is selected easily and within a blink of an eyelid we are rolling past the letterbox & stop in the driveway.
I flick the ignition switch off and sit there taking it all in with my hands firmly rapt around the broken old wooden steering wheel, the squeaks, the rattles and the smells of the burning old oil & fumes lifting off the 80year old motor, it was priceless, I have waited many years for that little 3 minute trip....It was short lived but FUN.

This is living folks!!

Thanks and stay tuned soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment