Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Where's that coming from - Bugger it!!

With the new carby kit in my hand and also a set of 4 new spark plugs for Monty I was out in my little shed by mid-morning with the radio cranked up nicely.
Plugs in, carby kit fitted up and then bolted back onto the motor, I had put the startor motor back on the other night after the auto-lect dropped it back to me after a bit of a tidy up. "It didn't need much, brushes were fine so make it $50 and off he went"....
In goes the new 6volt battery that I now have fitted up to a trickle-charge in the workshop, I recheck the carby again for anymore leaks, none that I could see so I grab the fire extinguisher and place it near the drivers door just to be on the safe side as I don't really know this car all that well just yet and then I climb in and sit down behind the broken old steering wheel....
I flick the ignition switch, pump the throttle a couple of times and then hit the startor button with my left foot and bloody hell it turned over so much better and quickly after the startor motor was repaired, anyway BANG! he fires into life straight away and sits there idling nice and sweet although bloody loud as I look down directly below me between my legs where the old muffler with its holes in the exhaust pipe is puffing out some smoke...
After a couple of mintues I leave him running as I climb out and walk around to look under the bonnet and then the other side to check the carby again, no leaks, no smoke, all good and then I step back to take it all in, WTF is that!! and I see a big pool of black oil on my nice concrete floor, where is it coming from!! as Monty has not leaked oil ever, so I switch him off and have a better look.....Turns out the oil filter cannister has a crack/small hole in the front upper section near the outlet pipe and it is pumping out a nice stream of oil when the motor is running, that explains all the old thick oil, dirt and crap in the bottom of the engine bay pan when I was degreasing it out a few weeks back..... Well my fun Saturday came to a grinding holt.....Lunch time.

With a full belly and a good deal of sole searching I decided to drain & flush out the radiator so I roll Monty over on to the grass and grab the hose, but first I get down underneath and look for the old drain plug, bingo I find it and yes it is all very tight but I get it undone and nothing comes out....But the radiator has never leaked and is full of water so I poke a peice of wire up in there and all the brown, rusty, thick liquid dribbles out and get quicker and quicker.
I place the hose in the top of the radiator and leave it for 30 minitues until the water runs through clear...Amazing really as I wonder how long since that was last done...I add some anti rust - anti freeze and call it a day

....Oh the adventures of fixing up Monty continue

No comments:

Post a Comment