Pages

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Resto: After Sundays repairs there was drive time..

8.20am this Sunday morning and Ray appears in the resto shed way ahead of me, but he was greeted by "Bella" the dog and given a warm reception as always, I was running late as I had slept in due to a sick daughter feeling unwell throughout the nigth, so I woofed down my breakfast and run out the door with my cup of coffee and headed straight for the shed....

We work well together and seem to know what the other needs with both of us always looking ahead to help each other out and we soon once again had a fair bit of work completed in very little time and was well on track with our days plan..."Lunch Ray, I'll go and get cooking mate"...



Front end rolled back in and bolted up, steering all adjusted and set, front brake bands also adjusted and sanded back a little to free up the wheel movement, fuel tank installed and a new copper fuel line running along the chassis and now bolted in place.
Then we attached some timbers to the frame to temparary hold up the fuel vacuum tank and once that was secure Ray quickly weaved his magic and had wires running here and there so we could start Monty and get it running again.
It wasn't long before we were both sitting on the rough sawn plank of timber across the chassis rails and flying up the street with the wind in our hair and basically everywhere else, I had the steering wheel to hang onto but poor bloody Ray was not looking real confident with my driving style and lack of "jesus bars" in front of him, but we got a good chance to jump on the brakes to see what happens and old Monty didn't let us down after the makeover, he pulled up quick and straight with no pulling to either side, the brakes worked wonderful, just fantastic and Ray said that they still have to "bed in", but we were both very impressed with them considering how shitty they worked before hand.




Many thanks Ray for your time spent working on this old car, it has been a fun time and a blast and I cannot thank you enough mate, you are an unbelieveable wealth of 28' Chevy information with your skills and knowledge just priceless to a novice like myself who is simply fumbling his way along blindly on a misson that has to be completed but by saying that I can feel my confidence growing each time I get out in the shed and wave the sidchromes around for a few hours... Cheers Ray.

Well now I am looking to begin the timber frame and bodywork soon, I have to purchase the 2 x lower repair panel sections for the front cowl as it has rusted out on both sides although from photos you cannot tell but it need new sections welding in place which basically holds the front dash/part of the car down onto the 2 x main timber rails...

Small steps, its all about the small steps - with a few big steps thrown in for good measure!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment