Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

"The Forgotten Chevy"

Firstly, Happy New Year and I hope that you all had an enjoyable Christmas and relaxing holiday., we did but I ate a little to much once again.
Well this morning early I unlocked our signshop, walked in and while looking around I was thinking well here goes for another year, number 28 I if my memory serves my right?, I switched on the lights, the radio and the work computer for what was the start another year at Grant Fowler Signs.
As normal over the holiday period the old computer gets bogged down with a heap of emails which are mainly spam and advertising bullshit selling this and that so I was busy hitting the delete button for a minute or two and then I came across this email which read in the subject line:  "Old Monty", I must open this one and have a read which I quickly did and what I found was a lovely email written by a gentleman from the USA with a fantastic story to tell about his 1928 "Forgotten" Chevrolet and a link to his website "The Forgotten Chevy" and also some info about the restoration of another car that he and his son are doing now which is a 1928 Chevrolet National Coupe.

This is the  "The Forgotten Chevy" with only 162 miles driven


 


Here is a little of that email that was sent to me:



Mr. Fowler:  I read the story of Old Monty and your father and found it to be a great tribute to him.  I too am a 1928 Chevrolet owner.  


By way of background I am 70 years old and retired about 15 months ago.  During my business career as a computer consultant I had the opportunity to visit Australia many times, and found it to be a fascinating country not understood by most Americans.  I had the opportunity to visit most major cities such as Melbourne, Sydney, Adelaide, Brisbane and others (never made it to Perth).  My last trip there was probably about 20 years ago

I own two 1928 Chevrolet Nationals:



·         1928 Chevrolet National AB Coach:  This car is all original and has just 162 original miles on it.  It is the lowest mileage 1928 Chevy I can find anywhere in the world and I have looked to find lower mileage ones.  What makes it unique is that all of the original documents are also in my possession (title, drivers license of owner, etc.).  I doubt if many other 1928 Chevrolets have these original documents.  I came into possession of the car through my wife's father who died several years ago.  When he acquired the car it had 18 original miles on it.  If you want to read the whole story of this car you can go to www.theforgottenchevy.com   Due to its low mileage and unique status I cannot/do not drive this car in order to preserve it for future generations. It took me over a year of research and phone calls to find all prior owners and document the provenance of this car, which again makes this 1928 Chevy truly unique among all 28 Chevies.



·         1928 Chevrolet National Coupe:  I acquired this vehicle about 6 months ago through an Ebay auction at an unbelievable $##,### US, which reflects our economy and the low prices for collector cars.  It was recently through a frame-off restoration by the prior owner with some reproduction parts.  I am presently trying to restore it with NOS parts.  I drive this car to car shows in the summer time.  It is a beautiful car, and I hope to get it on the website soon so others can see it.  I hope I can complete this work and pass it on to my son, who works with me on the car, before I join your father. It gives me a special understanding of what you tried to do with your father and Old Monty.


I wish you well in restoring your car as a tribute to your father.  I know there are many 1928 Chevrolets in Australia, as well as Canada and the US.  You should be able to find parts for most of it (I strongly suggest Ebay as I buy NOS parts there all the time).  I am a stickler for originality.



Thank  you for taking time to read this email and for looking at my web site if you have time.  I felt the website was the only way for me to share this exceptional 1928 Chevrolet with the world.  It took me a long time to get one up and running.



Kindest regards, 
Art

It is the emails like this one that makes our restoration journey even all the more special and I would like to again thank each and everyone of you out there who have made contact with me via this blog and shared with me a little piece of your life story... Cheers

PS don't forget to copy and paste the link to the forgotten Chevy website into your browser if this will not open here and have a good look at this amazing old piece of motoring history   www.theforgottenchevy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment