Pages

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Just a quirky photo

Now this is vintage to me, I love the "as is" condition of Monty in this photo, the wonky luggage rack, the rusted old broken stop light, the dented rear guard and the completely unusable stiff canvas hood well whats left of it anyway and the broken timber hood framework, just to name a few things....... Love it!!

 
If I could of kept it in this condition I would of but that was probably just an unrealistic dream seeing that it was "a little" to far gone, which really started to dawn on me after I rolled out of the darken covers and parked it in the yard to soak up some sunlight, I knew then that to get it back out on the roads safely some major work was needed, but just now much work I had no idea as I'd never restored a car before, I'd fixed up a few secondhand motorbikes and flogged them off over the years but this seemed just a little more involved.
Sure it could of sat in my shed surrounded by all my other rusty memorabilia of by gone days hanging off the walls and down from the roof truss's for another 40years with the occasional "start-up" or a rub over with some WD40 as ya gotta keep that fancy paint work shiny,  but that would of been a waste, and I would of kept looking at it, wondering what if, why didn't I?, all the while in the back of my head knowing that I've failed and passed up a golden opportunity to have a go and learn something new, to step way outside of my comfort zone.
Where we are at now and also the tempo of the restoration is fantastic but there are still many many more hours of work left on Monty, it is enjoyable and extremely rewarding work and there has not been one night yet when I flick off the resto shed lights, swing the doors closed and walk away without a smile or grin of some sort on my face and that tells me I have chosen within myself the right thing to do to this lovely old vehicle and yes I sense that dad is watching over my shoulder while I am in there turning the spanners, I can just hear him saying his favorite sentence, "Here, give it to me, not like that for Christ sake!, don't be a bloody clown all your life", if he said that once he said it a million times to me to the point of it being a topic of laughter at family gatherings after a few beers and even this past Christmas it was mentioned again by us all around the table.....
Yes, dad had very little patience, you were shown how to do something only once and if you missed it you were on your own, but that is something that my new found hobby has taught me you need lots of, patience!!........ Cheers

1 comment:

  1. I have noticed a bit more mellowing compared to the rip into it boots and all in the beginning.
    Does patience come with wisdom or experience, I am not sure.BBBBBBBaby steps.

    ReplyDelete