Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Look What I Scored For Monty!!

I parked Monty out front of the workshop the other day on the grass and I had 4 blokes at different times drive in for a closer look and a good chat "My uncle had one of these....", "My father drove one of these....", "My old neighbour kept one in his shed..." along those line the conversations would getting started.
One of the blokes is a well know local who has a name for collecting all things old, machinery, enamel signs, motorbikes & trucks and also has a few Chevy's but of the 1950's variety, this bloke knew my father for years and had seen ole Monty over the years sitting in the corner of the old "Fowler & Sons" workshop covered in dust and had often mentioned it to dad, but always got the same response back...Nope not for sale!!
We stood talking and walking around Monty looking at this and that for quite sometime then I heard the words that put a smile on ya face "Hey you know what, I have an old metal trunk for one of these at home in the shed somewhere, I'll drop it back and you can have it"....So here it is folks pictured in the photo below on the original luggage rack, he was good to his word as it showed up yesterday and I have to say I love it as the trunk and Monty look like they have never been separated all those 83 years, all I need now is to chase up some old leather straps with metal buckles to hold it down which I think will set it off nice.



Not much else has been happening on the restoration front with me just looking into fixing or getting someone to fix the interior woodwork & replacing the main timber chassis rails first and sourcing names and info but to tell you the truth I'm still just playing and enjoying having it sitting in the workshop with the occasional / frequent early morning drive around the block when no one is looking.....Oops someone is coming in the workshop again as Monty is out on the lawn so I must go...

Righto I'm back, I just had "Parko from Thorpdale" call in, he knew dad well, swears like a trooper and can tell some great yarns, stopped for a look & his first words were "Fuck, Wayne would love seeing this, he would be in it snigging poles around the hills hey, fuck, what a fucking ripper, get a fucking look at it, fuck me!!!.....

Cheers and talk to you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment