It came to our attention on the weekend, well actually I had noticed it a few weeks back and that there was a slight "ticking" noise coming from the from right front wheel when I hung the ears out into the wind and had a good listen, but being the green novice that I am I thought it was a brake issue, but it was not to be.
When I pointed this out to Ray as we returned to the resto shed he grabbed the rubber mallet off the workbench and proceeded to lightly tap each of the wooden spokes on the right front wheel and sure enough one was quite loose, then the next wheel and the next were tested and sure enough there were about 2 or 3 on each wheel that had come slightly loose over the last 12 months and 1800 miles and if not fixed asap then they will only get worse with more miles driven on them.
The wheel is then turned over and placed on the concrete floor for a firm surface to work on,
then with a block of timber and hammer carefully tap down each spoke and slowly make your way around the hub many times and slowly the hub will come up out of the timber while leaving them in place - to easy..
Now waiting on some shimming material to arrive, will post more info and pix soon - Cheers
My front wheels have now been shimmed, new bolts installed and everything is back together and yes when given the "hit" test with the hammer the wooden spokes now sound tight and now I will start on the rear wheels this coming weekend while I am waiting for a new front bearing to show up.
On the weekend just past 25/5/2013 it was a cloudy, very cool, typical autumn Gippsland day and with the kids both organised and doing their thing, I made my way out to the resto shed and removed both rear wheels from Monty, knocked out the hubs and re-shimmed them up nice and tight, now all four wooden spokes are completed but unfortunately I could not have a test drive out the highway or even around the block for that matter as I am still waiting on the new tapered bearing kit for the front end to arrive from the USA... Shouldn't be long now!